Affordable English School in Hawaii | Central Pacific College

Frequently Asked Questions - COVID 19

Travel Regulations, CPC COVID-19 Policy & the COVID-19 Status in Hawaii

Q1. What is the current guidance for traveling to the U.S?

All non-US citizens flying to the United States are required to be fully vaccinated, as follows: (two-dose vaccination: Pfizer, Moderna) or (one-dose vaccination: Johnson and Johnson). In addition, before boarding a flight to the United States, you are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result taken no more than 1 day before travel. Please follow the instructions given by each respective airline regarding the PCR test and a submission of a negative certificate.[CDC] Travel to the U.S.:

Q2. What is CPC's policy regarding attending In-person classes?

CPC follows State of Hawaii and County of Honolulu guidelines in order to keep everybody safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19. You need to abide by the following regulations:

1. All students attending in-person programs are required to be fully vaccinated, as follows: (two-dose vaccination: Pfizer, Moderna) or (one-dose vaccination: Johnson and Johnson).
2. Quarantine is not required
3. You must take a PCR test within 1 day before your flight and submit a negative result written in English to CPC via email.

Q3. What should I do before arriving to the USA/leaving my home country?

You must be fully vaccinated and take a PCR test no more than 1 day before travel. Otherwise, you can't board your flight. Please also submit your PCR result written in English via email to your campus.

Q4. For what period of time does the COVID-exception to the 5-month rule cover?

There is no 5-month rule during this pandemic period. As long as you have a valid I-20, you will be able to come to the U.S.

Q5. What should I do if my program is online, but I want to go to the USA now?

We will allow new students to take an in-person or hybrid class of your choice.

Q6. Do I need to fill out any forms before I arrive?

No, you don't need to fill out any forms.

Q7. If I have a student visa, can I come to the U.S. without a problem?

If you have a student visa (that is not expired) you can apply for a new I-20 and start a new program. Please check the travel restrictions for international travelers.

Q8. Can I come to the USA and attend online programs only?

No, according to SEVP regulations, overseas students entering on an initial I-20 can not attend 100% online classes.

Q9. What will happen if there is another lockdown in Hawaii?

We will follow the CDC instructions and switch to online programs if needed.

CPC during COVID-19

Q1. Does CPC offer online classes or in-person classes?

CPC offers both online and in-person classes. Students who came to the U.S. before 3/09/20 can take online classes or in-person classes. On the other hand, students who came to the U.S. with student visas after 3/09/20 are required to attend in-person classes. Thus, CPC offers in-person classes to fulfill immigration requirements for F1 students.

Q2. Do you offer the EPP: English Proficiency program in person?

Yes, we do offer in-person STEP/EPP: Short Term/English Proficiency and TOEFL®︎ classes.

Q3. Are CPC school events canceled?

All activities have resumed to normal, however, we follow the Phase 3 of the Oahu Reopening Strategy and follow CDC COVID-19 Safety Guidelines.

Q4. Have there been any confirmed COVID-19 cases at CPC?

Currently, no students or staff who attend our In-person classes have gotten COVID-19, but two students who attended online classes have gotten positive in the past.

Q5. When will the school return to having fully in-person classes?

We offer all morning classes as in-person. Only one afternoon conversation class is offered online.

Q6. How do I get textbooks?

You can purchase textbooks from our school or we can mail the textbooks to you. If you choose to have your textbook mailed, you will be charged a shipping fee.

Q7. How is your school managing in-person classes during the pandemic?

Masks are required, social distancing is practiced, and temperature is checked daily.

Q8. What programs do you offer?

At this moment, we offer STEP/EPP: Short Term/English Proficiency and TOEFL®︎ programs in person. Online, we offer the Conversation Program.

Q9. Can I check into a student accommodation the day I arrive to the U.S?

As long as you have taken a PCR test within 1 days prior to departure and provide a negative result, we will be able to provide you with our accommodations/housing

Q10. How can I take a vacation while taking online programs?

Please stop by the CPC front desk to do appropriate paperwork.

Admissions during the COVID-19 period

Q1. Can I defer my admission for reasons related to COVID-19?

Yes, you can change your program start date. Please inform us of when you want to start your program based on the start dates listed on our School Calendar. If you are an F1 student (Student visa), we will reissue your I-20 with a new program start date and send you a digitally signed I-20, so that you can print it out and take it with you when you enter the U.S.

Q2. How can I receive a copy of my I-20?

During the pandemic, all government agencies will accept a digital copy of your I-20. However, if you need the original I-20, we can mail it to you. In this case, you will be charged a shipping fee.

Q3. Do I have to pay a fee if I postpone my start date?

No, if you are an F1 student (student visa holder), we will simply email your new I-20 to you with the new program start date.

Q4. Does the PCR Result have to be the original?

No, originals are not required. A copy of your proof of vaccination and PCR test result are accepted.

Q5. Will there be any penalty fees for postponing the housing move-in date?

As long as you notify us 30 days prior to your move in-date, there will be no fees.

Q6. Which students are allowed to join in-person classes?

All students who come to the U.S. with initial I-20s (new students) must attend In-person programs due to SEVIS (U.S. immigration) requirements. If you are a transfer student who came to the USA. before 03/09/20, you will be able to choose either an online program or an In-person program. New Non-F1 students are also able to choose either In-person or online classes.

Q7. Can I join in-person classes via Zoom during my self-quarantine?

If you need to quarantine, you can temporarily join one of our online programs via Zoom for the duration of the quarantine period.

General Questions Related to COVID-19

Q1. How can I get a COVID-19 test?

If you take a PCR exam in Hawaii, the cost will be $125 ~ $300. Please feel free to ask CPC staff if you need to take it.

Q2. What if I test positive for COVID-19?

First, you must have Medical/Travel Insurance which will cover issues related to COVID-19. If you receive a positive result, follow the instructions provided by the State of Hawaii testing centers.

Q3. What should I do if I believe I may have been exposed to COVID-19?

You should take a PCR test. Please ask CPC staff if you don't know where the test center is.

Q4. What are the symptoms of COVID-19?

For details regarding COVID-19 symptoms, see the CDC (Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention) website. There is also a Coronavirus Self-Checker available.

Q5. What is the COVID-19 situation like in Hawaii?

COVID-19 numbers are decreasing and people are receiving vaccines very quickly, Hawaii is not as crowded as Asia and some other parts of the world. Most people wear masks at all times and take social distancing very seriously. Additionally, it is typically very easy to get tested for COVID-19 in Hawaii.